Triple Bottom Line
The concept describes the notion of 3BL and explores the ‘bottom line’ of the profit and loss, ‘people’ and ‘planet’ accounts. It offers some case evidence on how 3BL has benefited organisations and how firms can implement these principles.
Triple Bottom Line Definition
Triple bottom line (TBL) is a technique used increasingly in corporate social responsible (CSR) reporting by organisations … and by external stakeholders and third parties to rate an organisation’s performance … [on] measures of environmental, social and economic performance ... [It] determines that businesses have positive impacts on the three P’s: people, profit, and planet" (CIPS: Balancing commercial and sustainability issues purpose).
Triple Bottom Line Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Triple Bottom Line.
Triple Bottom Line Strengths *
Triple Bottom Line Weaknesses *
Examples of Triple Bottom Line *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Triple Bottom Line Implementation *
Success Factors of Triple Bottom Line *
Measures of Triple Bottom Line *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Triple Bottom Line Videos *
Triple Bottom Line Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Triple Bottom Line Web Resources *
Triple Bottom Line Print Resources *
Triple Bottom Line References (4 of up to 20) *
- Carroll, A. (1991) The Pyramid of Corporate Social Responsibility: Toward the Moral Management of Organisational Stakeholders. Business Horizons, Vol. 34(4), pp. 39-48.
- CIMA (2005) CIMA Official Terminology. The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants. Oxford: UK.
- CIPS: Balancing Commercial and Sustainability Issues Purpose: Are These Issues Mutually Exclusive?
- Cooke, F.L. (2011) Social Responsibility, Sustainability and Diversity of Human Resources. In A.W. Harzing and A. Pinnington (eds.) International Human Resource Management, (3rd. ed.) Sage Publications: London.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Triple Bottom Line and hundreds of other essential business management techniques