Economies of Scale and Scope
Economy of scale is a concept that arises in the context of the production of a good or service, and other similar activities undertaken by organisations. This concept will provide an understanding of economies of scale, and some other concepts related to the production process.
Economies of Scale and Scope Definition
Economies of scale refers to the phenomenon where the average costs per unit of output decrease with the increase in the scale or magnitude of the output being produced by a firm. Economies of scope exist when it is cheaper to produce two products together (joint production) than to produce them separately (OECD, 2008).
Economies of Scale and Scope Description *
* The full technique overview will be available soon. Contact us to register your interest in our business management platform, and learn all about Economies of Scale and Scope.
Strengths, weaknesses and examples of Economies of Scale and Scope *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Implementation, success factors and measures of Economies of Scale and Scope *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Economies of Scale and Scope videos and downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Economies of Scale and Scope web and print resources *
Economies of Scale and Scope references (4 of up to 20) *
- Ang, J.S. and Lin, L.W. (2001) A Fundamental Approach to Estimating Economies of Scale and Scope of Financial Products: The Case of Mutual Funds. Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Vol. 16(3), pp. 205-21.
- Barnes, D. (2008) Operations Management: An International Perspective. Thomson, London.
- Bitros, G.C. (2005) Scale, Scope and Entrepreneurship. In Y. Cassis and I. Pepelasis-Minoglou (Eds.), Entrepreneurship in Theory and History. Palgrave, London.
- Cummins, J.D. and Xie, X.-Y. (2008) Mergers and Acquisitions in the US Property-liability Insurance Industry: Productivity and Efficiency Effects. Journal of Banking and Finance, Vol. 32(1), pp. 30-55.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Economies of Scale and Scope and hundreds of other essential business management techniques