Sourcing is a critical activity used at both tactical and strategic levels. It is concerned with what needs to be purchased, why, when and where. The concept is created to help supply chain managers and practitioners to improve, develop and implement strategic sourcing strategies.
Sourcing is the "location, acquisition and management of all the vital inputs required for an organisation to operate. This includes raw materials, component parts, products, labour in all its forms, location and services" (Hinkelman, 2008:578).
Sourcing Description *
* The full technique overview is available for members only. Why not sign up for a free trial of our business management platform, and learn all about Sourcing.
Sourcing Strengths *
Sourcing Weaknesses *
Examples of Sourcing *
* The business evidence section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the Business Evidence.
Sourcing Implementation *
Success Factors of Sourcing *
Measures of Sourcing *
* The business application section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the Business application.
Sourcing Videos *
Sourcing Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the professional tools.
Sourcing Web Resources *
Sourcing Print Resources *
Sourcing References (4 of up to 20) *
- Aberdeen Group (2010) Strategic Sourcing: The 2010 Guide to Driving Savings and Procurement Performance. [online] Available at: www.aberdeen.com/aberdeen-library/6305/RA-strategic-sourcing-savings-procurement.aspx [Accessed 07 November 2011].
- Bullen, C.V., LeFave, R. and Selig, G.J. (2010) Implementing Strategic Sourcing. Van Haren Publishing: Netherlands.
- CIPS: Developing and implementing a strategic sourcing strategy.
- Financial Times (2010) Walmart reveals strategic sourcing deal. January 28th.
* The further reading section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Sourcing and hundreds of other essential business management techniques