Kaizen is a Japanese word typically translated as 'continuous improvement'. The term refers to the strategy of making small improvements on a continuous basis. The concept will help managers and practitioners to better understand how to benefit from applying Kaizen in their organisations.
Kaizen, as a philosophy, is defined as the spirit of improvement based on the spirit of cooperation and commitment; equally relevant in personal, home, social and working life (Brunet, 2000). The specific application of Kaizen to the workplace means continuing (and relatively inexpensive) improvement involving everyone: top management, managers and workers alike (Imai, 1986).
Kaizen Description *
* The full technique overview is available for members only. Why not sign up for a free trial of our business management platform, and learn all about Kaizen.
Kaizen Strengths *
Kaizen Weaknesses *
Examples of Kaizen *
* The business evidence section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the Business Evidence.
Kaizen Implementation *
Success Factors of Kaizen *
Measures of Kaizen *
* The business application section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the Business application.
Kaizen Videos *
Kaizen Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the professional tools.
Kaizen Web Resources *
Kaizen Print Resources *
Kaizen References (4 of up to 20) *
- Atkinson, A.A., Kaplan, R.S., Matsumura, E.M, Young, M.S. (2007) Management Accounting. (5th edition) Pearson Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Bessant, J., Burnell, J., Harding, R. and Webb, S. (1993) Continuous Improvement in British Manufacturing. Technovation, 13(4), pp. 241-254.
- Brunet, A.P., and New, S. (2003) Kaizen in Japan: An Empirical Study. International Journal of Operations and Production Management, Vol. 23(12), pp. 14-26.
- Bunce, P. (2003) Blow the Budget! Manufacturing Engineer, Vol. 82(1), pp. 34-37.
* The further reading section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Kaizen and hundreds of other essential business management techniques