A scan of the internal and external environment is an important part of the strategic planning process. This concept describes SWOT analysis and discusses its strengths and weaknesses.
SWOT Analysis Definition
SWOT is a technique for analysing the internal and external environments of an organisation through the identification and assessment of its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats (SWOT). SWOT analysis entails a distillation of the findings of an internal and external audit that draws attention, from a strategic perspective, to the critical organisational strengths and weaknesses and the opportunities and threats facing the organisation (Kotler and Armstrong, 2011).
SWOT Analysis Description *
* The full technique overview is available for members only. Why not sign up for a free trial of our business management platform, and learn all about SWOT Analysis.
SWOT Analysis Strengths *
SWOT Analysis Weaknesses *
Examples of SWOT Analysis *
* The business evidence section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the Business Evidence.
SWOT Analysis Implementation *
Success Factors of SWOT Analysis *
Measures of SWOT Analysis *
* The business application section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the Business application.
SWOT Analysis Videos *
SWOT Analysis Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the professional tools.
SWOT Analysis Web Resources *
SWOT Analysis Print Resources *
SWOT Analysis References (4 of up to 20) *
- Brassington, F. and Pettitt, S. (2006), Principles of Marketing, 4th edition, Financial Times/Prentice Hall, UK.
- Chase, R.B., and Aquilano, N.J. (2004) Operations Management for Competitive Advantage, 10th Edition, Irwin Professional Publishing.
- Dyson, R.G. (2004) Strategic Development and SWOT Analysis at the University of Warwick, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 152 (3), pp. 631-640.
- Ferrell, O. C. and Hartline, M. D. (2011) Marketing Strategy, Cengage, Mason, OH.
* The further reading section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on SWOT Analysis and hundreds of other essential business management techniques