Just-in-time is one of the powerful outcomes of Lean manufacturing and when appropriately applied it results in great benefits to organisations. The concept has been created to help professionals to quickly grasp the term and to understand the critical success factors.
Just-In-Time (JIT) is a concept popularised by the productivity of Japanese industry. It described a manufacturing system that enables the achievement of cost reduction and workflow improvement by scheduling materials to arrive at a work station or facility ‘just in time’ to be used (Schermerhorn, 1996).
Just-In-Time Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Just-In-Time.
Just-In-Time Strengths *
Just-In-Time Weaknesses *
Examples of Just-In-Time *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Just-In-Time Implementation *
Success Factors of Just-In-Time *
Measures of Just-In-Time *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Just-In-Time Videos *
Just-In-Time Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Just-In-Time Web Resources *
Just-In-Time Print Resources *
Just-In-Time References (4 of up to 20) *
- Atkinson, C. (2005) Dell Computers: A Case Study in Low Inventory. Inventory Management Review. 26 September. [online] Available at: www.inventorymanagementreview.org/2005/09/dell_computers_.html [Accessed 26 January 2012].
- Beasley, J.E. (2007) Operations Research Notes. [online] Available at people.brunel.ac.uk/~mastjjb/jeb/or/jit.html [Accessed 23 January 2012].
- Callen, J.L., Fader, C. and Krinsky, I. (2000) Just-in-Time: A Cross-Sectional Plant Analysis. International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 63, pp. 277-301.
- Ekekwe, N. (2011) Rethink Your Business Continuity Strategy. Harvard Business Review. 22 April.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Just-In-Time and hundreds of other essential business management techniques