Supply Chain Management
The concept reviews SCM and its boundaries in terms of business functions. It also examines current practices, trends and issues in supply chain management, as well as the critical success factors of SCM and some business evidence.
Supply Chain Management Definition
The CIPS (Positions on practice: 8) defines supply chain management (SCM) as "the continuous planning, developing, controlling, informing and monitoring of actions within and between supply chain links so that an integrated supply process results which meets overall strategic goals." Alternatively, SCM is the "process of strategically managing the movement and storage (if necessary) of materials, parts and finished product from supplies, through the manufacturing process and on to customers or end user, as well as the associated information flows"(Yeo and Ning, 2002:256).
Supply Chain Management Description *
* The full technique overview will be available soon. Contact us to register your interest in our business management platform, and learn all about Supply Chain Management.
Strengths, weaknesses and examples of Supply Chain Management *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Implementation, success factors and measures of Supply Chain Management *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Supply Chain Management videos and downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Supply Chain Management web and print resources *
Supply Chain Management references (4 of up to 20) *
- Billington, C., Callioni, G., Crane, B., Ruark, J. D., Rapp, J. U., White, T. and Willems, S. P. (2004) Accelerating the profitability of Hewlett-Packard's supply chains. Interfaces, Vol.34(1), pp.59-72.
- Bixby, A., Downs, B. and Self, M. (2006) A scheduling and capable-to-promise application for Swift & Company. Interfaces, Vol.36 (1), pp.69-86.
- Chopra, S. and Meindl, P. (2009) Supply chain management: Strategy, planning, and operation. Pearson Education: Essex, UK.
- CIPS: Supply chain management and networks.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Supply Chain Management and hundreds of other essential business management techniques