The goal of this concept is to provide an understanding of the nature of the profession and practice of public relations. This concept covers the development and history of PR, major theories that inform it, role and position of PR in the organisation, and skills and requirements for success in PR.
Public Relations Definition
Public Relations are planned and sustained efforts to establish and maintain goodwill and mutual understanding between an organisation and the public (Pickton and Broderick, 2004). Good relations are developed with companies' various public audiences by obtaining favourable publicity, building up corporate image and handling of unfavourable rumours, stories and events (Kotler and Armstrong, 2009). As such, PR tabulates public attitudes and procedures in the interest of the organisation by executing action programmes to earn public acceptance (Tench and Yeomans, 2009).
Public Relations Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Public Relations.
Public Relations Strengths *
Public Relations Weaknesses *
Examples of Public Relations *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Public Relations Implementation *
Success Factors of Public Relations *
Measures of Public Relations *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Public Relations Videos *
Public Relations Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Public Relations Web Resources *
Public Relations Print Resources *
Public Relations References (4 of up to 20) *
- BBC News (2011) Toyota Eyes Annual Sales of 10 Million Cars. [Online] Available at: www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12686471 [Accessed: 18 Oct 2011].
- Barry, A. (2005) PR Power: Inside Secrets From The World of Spin, Virgin Media Guides.
- Derringer, P. (2004) Under the Hood: More Web Sites Valuing Good Content. American Executive Magazine, December.
- Kotler, P. and Armstrong, G. (2009) Principles of Marketing: Global Edition. (13th Ed.) Pearson Publications, US.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Public Relations and hundreds of other essential business management techniques