This concept provides an explanation of what e-Commerce is, how it can be applied and managed, and how companies can assess its major opportunities, limitations, issues, and risks. It concept also offers practical case evidence and additional resources.
e-Commerce refers to the technology-mediated exchanges and transactions between parties, as well as to the electronically based intra- or inter-organisational activities that facilitate such exchanges (Rayport and Jaworski, 2003). It is generally considered a subcategory of e-Business (Jelassi and Enders, 2004; Timmers, 2005) and sometimes the two terms are used interchangeably (CIPS: Electronic Commerce and e-Business).
e-Commerce Description *
* The full technique overview is available for members only. Why not sign up for a free trial of our business management platform, and learn all about e-Commerce.
e-Commerce Strengths *
e-Commerce Weaknesses *
Examples of e-Commerce *
* The business evidence section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the Business Evidence.
e-Commerce Implementation *
Success Factors of e-Commerce *
Measures of e-Commerce *
* The business application section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the Business application.
e-Commerce Videos *
e-Commerce Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the professional tools.
e-Commerce Web Resources *
e-Commerce Print Resources *
e-Commerce References (4 of up to 20) *
- Brynjolfsson, E., Hu, Y. and Smith, M.D. (2006) From Niches to Riches: The Anatomy of the Long Tail. Sloan Management Review, Vol. 47(4), pp. 67-71.
- BusinessLink (2011) E-Commerce. Gov.uk Web Portal. [online] Available at: www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?topicId=1073866263 [Accessed 20 November 2011].
- Curran, K., McCartney, D. and Elder, K. (2006) The Power of Long Tail. Journal of Information Technology Impact, Vol. 6(3), pp. 129-134.
- Evans, B. (2014) Why Amazon Has No Profits (And Why It Works). Retrieved at: http://ben-evans.com
* The further reading section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on e-Commerce and hundreds of other essential business management techniques