Portfolio management requires making decisions about investment mix and policy, matching investments to objectives, asset allocation for individuals and institutions, and balancing risk against performance. The concept explores these in more detail and offers a few case studies on how companies across different sectors benefit from it.
Portfolio Management Definition
Portfolio management is a corporate, strategic level process for coordinating successful delivery across an organisation’s entire set of programmes and projects. The total set of programmes and projects within an organisation is known as the ‘portfolio’ and this represents a complete picture of the organisation’s commitment of programme and project resources and investment to delivering its strategic objectives (OGC, 2004).
Portfolio Management Description *
* The full technique overview is available for members only. Why not sign up for a free trial of our business management platform, and learn all about Portfolio Management.
Portfolio Management Strengths *
Portfolio Management Weaknesses *
Examples of Portfolio Management *
* The business evidence section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the Business Evidence.
Portfolio Management Implementation *
Success Factors of Portfolio Management *
Measures of Portfolio Management *
* The business application section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the Business application.
Portfolio Management Videos *
Portfolio Management Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the professional tools.
Portfolio Management Web Resources *
Portfolio Management Print Resources *
Portfolio Management References (4 of up to 20) *
- Aptech (2003) Brown Brothers Harriman: GAUSS Case Study. [Online] Available at: www.aptech.com/pdf/GAUSS_CaseStudy_BBH.pdf.
- BCG (2007) Measuring Innovation 2007: A BCG Senior Management Survey. [Online] Available at: www.bcg.com/documents/file15066.pdf.
- Burnes, B. (2009) Managing Change. (5th Ed.) Pearson Education, Essex, UK.
- Cooper, G.R., Edgett, J.S. and Kleinschmidt, J.E. (2001) Portfolio Management for New Product Development: Results of an Industry Practices Study. R&D Management, Vol. 31(4), pp. 361-80.
* The further reading section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Portfolio Management and hundreds of other essential business management techniques