The view of human resources as a form of capital is not new, but only recently practitioners and academics have turned their attention to the benefits of the efficient employee management. The concept describes these benefits and reviews the success factors and implementation information that will help you improve your HR strategies.
Human Capital Definition
Human capital is defined by the OECD (1998) as “the knowledge, skills and competences and other attributes embodied in individuals that are relevant to economic activity”. The idea, however, finds its roots in the ideas of Karl Marx (1859) and in his concept of Labor Power where workers sold their labour in order to receive income.
Human Capital Description *
* The full technique overview is available for members only. Why not sign up for a free trial of our business management platform, and learn all about Human Capital.
Human Capital Strengths *
Human Capital Weaknesses *
Examples of Human Capital *
* The business evidence section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the Business Evidence.
Human Capital Implementation *
Success Factors of Human Capital *
Measures of Human Capital *
* The business application section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the Business application.
Human Capital Videos *
Human Capital Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the professional tools.
Human Capital Web Resources *
Human Capital Print Resources *
Human Capital References (4 of up to 20) *
- Allison, D. (2009) Investopedia. Human Capital: The Most Overlooked Asset Class.
- Becker, G.S. (1975) Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis, with Special Reference to Education. (2d Ed.) New York: Columbia University Press for NBER.
- Behrman, J. (1997) Conceptual and Measurement Issues. In J. Behrman and N. Stacey (Eds.), The Social Benefits of Education, University of Michigan Press, pp. 17-67.
- HM Treasury (2001) Productivity in the UK: The Regional Dimension. London, UK.
* The further reading section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Human Capital and hundreds of other essential business management techniques