The concept describes three stages that form the process of market segmentation and explores the reasons for segmenting the market. The concept also reviews the advantages of market segmentation and provides examples of how organisations have achieved stronger positioning through this technique.
Market Segmentation Definition
Market segmentation is the analytical process of breaking down the market into smaller groups, each of which requires a different marketing mix. Each segment should be measurable (size and characteristics), substantial (sizeable), accessible (reachable targets), and actionable (providing profitable business opportunities) (Sutherland and Canwell, 2004).
Market Segmentation Description *
* The full technique overview will be available soon. Contact us to register your interest in our business management platform, and learn all about Market Segmentation.
Strengths, weaknesses and examples of Market Segmentation *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Implementation, success factors and measures of Market Segmentation *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Market Segmentation videos and downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Market Segmentation web and print resources *
Market Segmentation references (4 of up to 20) *
- Beane, T., Ennis, D. (1987) Market Segmentation: A Review. European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 21, pp. 20-44.
- Brugmann, J. and Prahalad, C.K. (2007) Cocreating Business’s New Social Compact. Harvard Business Review, February.
- Claycamp, H.J. (1968) A Theory of Market Segmentation. Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 5(4).
- Datta, Y. (1986) Market Segmentation: An Integrated Framework. Long Range Planning, Vol. 29.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Market Segmentation and hundreds of other essential business management techniques