The concept will help organisations to measure current performance levels and identify opportunities for improvement. It explains how to identify strengths, weaknesses and success factors in benchmarking.
Benchmarking is a continuous and systematic process for evaluating the products, services and work processes of organisations that are recognised as representing best practice for the purpose of organisational improvement (Spendolini, 1992).
Benchmarking Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Benchmarking.
Benchmarking Strengths *
Benchmarking Weaknesses *
Examples of Benchmarking *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Benchmarking Implementation *
Success Factors of Benchmarking *
Measures of Benchmarking *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Benchmarking Videos *
Benchmarking Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Benchmarking Web Resources *
Benchmarking Print Resources *
Benchmarking References (4 of up to 20) *
- Broderick, A., Garry, T. and Beasley, M. (2010) The Need for Adaptive Processes of Benchmarking in Small Business-to-Business Services. Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, Vol. 25(5), pp. 324–337.
- Burnes, B. (2009) Managing Change. (5th Ed.) Pearson Education: Essex, UK.
- Czarnecki, M.T. (1999) Managing by Measuring: How to Improve Your Organization's Performance Through Effective Benchmarking. Amacom: New York.
- Davies, A. and Kochbar, A. (2002) Manufacturing Best Practice and Performance Studies: A Critique. International Journal of Operations and Production Management, Vol. 22(3), pp. 289-305.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Benchmarking and hundreds of other essential business management techniques