Managing time effectively is essential to maximise performance. The concept offers a review of different time management techniques and highlights the main benefits, success factors, as well as some practical application steps and case evidence.
Time Management Definition
Time management is the process of organising, planning and controlling time to get more and better work done in less time. It is defined as “behaviours that aim at achieving an effective use of time while performing certain goal-directed activities (Claessens, 2007)” and “practices intended to maximise intellectual productivity (Britton and Tesser, 1991).” Time management can be viewed as a way of monitoring and controlling time (Eilam and Aharon, 2003). Marquis and Huston (2009), on the other hand, argue that time cannot be managed at all; individuals can manage events in relation to time.
Time Management Description *
* The full technique overview will be available soon. Contact us to register your interest in our business management platform, and learn all about Time Management.
Strengths, weaknesses and examples of Time Management *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Implementation, success factors and measures of Time Management *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Time Management videos and downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Time Management web and print resources *
Time Management references (4 of up to 20) *
- Adams, R. V. and Blair, E. (2019). Impact of Time Management Behaviors on Undergraduate Engineering Students’ Performance. Sage Journals. Vol. 9 issue 1. https://doi.org/10.1177/2158244018824506.
- Claessens, B. & E., Wendelien & G. Rutte, Christel & Roe, R. (2007). A Review of Time Management Literature. Personnel Review. 36. 10.1108/00483480710726136.
- Covey, S. (1989). The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Free Press.
- Britton, B. K. and Tesser, A. (1991). “Effects of time-management practices on college grades”, Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 83, pp. 405-10.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Time Management and hundreds of other essential business management techniques