Good succession planning is the key to future proof your organisation. This concept explains how to ensure a consistent effort to create a pool of high potential candidates who possess the critical competencies to step up to critical roles.
Succession Planning Definition
“Succession planning is the process of identifying and developing potential future leaders or senior managers, as well as individuals to fill other business-critical positions, either in the short- or the long-term. In addition to training and development activities, succession planning programmes typically include the provision of practical, tailored work experience relevant for future senior or key roles” (CIPD, 2015).
Succession Planning Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Succession Planning.
Succession Planning Strengths *
Succession Planning Weaknesses *
Examples of Succession Planning *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Succession Planning Implementation *
Success Factors of Succession Planning *
Measures of Succession Planning *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Succession Planning Videos *
Succession Planning Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Succession Planning Web Resources *
Succession Planning Print Resources *
Succession Planning References (4 of up to 20) *
- CIPD (2015) Succession Planning: What is Succession Planning, Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development [online], available at: http://www.cipd.co.uk/hr-resources/factsheets/succession-planning.aspx
- Citrin, J. M. and Ogden, D. (2010) Succeeding at Succession, HBR, Nov.
- Clutterbuck, D. (2012) The Talent Wave: Why Succession Planning Fails and What to Do About It, Kogan Page, London.
- Dessler, G. (2014) Human Resource Management, Prentice Hall, US.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Succession Planning and hundreds of other essential business management techniques