The concept reviews the term 'marketing myopia', which was proposed by Theodore Levitt in 1960, and expands the notion of marketing strategy beyond its current myopic focus on product positioning and branding.
Marketing Myopia Definition
Marketing myopia develops when a company’s competitive domain is defined primarily according to its products rather than the needs of the market (Levitt, 1960). Marketing myopia proved to be a formative piece of work by Levitt and many other concepts in marketing and broader business strategy were based on findings from this theory.
Marketing Myopia Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Marketing Myopia.
Marketing Myopia Strengths *
Marketing Myopia Weaknesses *
Examples of Marketing Myopia *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Marketing Myopia Implementation *
Success Factors of Marketing Myopia *
Measures of Marketing Myopia *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Marketing Myopia Videos *
Marketing Myopia Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Marketing Myopia Web Resources *
Marketing Myopia Print Resources *
Marketing Myopia References (4 of up to 20) *
- Drummond, G., Ensor, J. and Ashford, R. (2008) Strategic Marketing: Planning and Control. Butterworth-Heinemann: Oxford, UK.
- Grant, R.M. (2008) Contemporary Strategy Analysis. Blackwell Publishing: Oxford.
- Hindle, T. (2008) Guide to Management Ideas and Gurus. The Economist/Profile Books Ltd, London.
- Kotler, P., Keller, K.L., Brady, M., Goodman, M. and Hansen, T. (2009) Marketing Management. Pearson Education: Essex, UK.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Marketing Myopia and hundreds of other essential business management techniques