Management By Walking Around
The term management by wandering around (MBWA) refers to a style of business management which involves managers wandering around, in an unstructured manner, through the workplace(s) to check with employees about the status of ongoing work. The concept explores the benefits and drawbacks of this practice in organisations.
Management By Walking Around Definition
Management by Walking Around (or Management by Wandering Around) (MBWA) is the conscious commitment by management to interact with employees on a regular basis in an attempt to better understand, and act on, their issues, ideas, and concerns. There is no prescription for MBWA to be undertaken in a structured, formalised way (Peters and Waterman, 1982).
Management By Walking Around Description *
* The full technique overview will be available soon. Contact us to register your interest in our business management platform, and learn all about Management By Walking Around.
Strengths, weaknesses and examples of Management By Walking Around *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Implementation, success factors and measures of Management By Walking Around *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Management By Walking Around videos and downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Management By Walking Around web and print resources *
Management By Walking Around references (4 of up to 20) *
- Garvin, D.A., Edmondson, A.C. and Gino, F. (2008) Is Yours a Learning Organization?. Harvard Business Review, March.
- Jeston, J. and Nelis, J. (2008) Management By Process. Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford.
- Katzenbach, J.R., Steffen, I. and Kronley, C. (2012) Cultural Change That Sticks. Harvard Business Review, Jul-Aug.
- Kruschwitz, N. (2012) How An “Abundance Mentality” and a CEO’s Fierce Resolve Kickstarted CSR at Campbell Soup. MIT Sloan Management Review, August.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Management By Walking Around and hundreds of other essential business management techniques