The concept explains how entrepreneurs and multinationals are capitalising on a new trend to innovate in emerging markets. It describes the advantages and drawbacks of the frugal innovation method and brings the concept to life using real examples of frugal innovation in practice.
Frugal Innovation Definition
The term Frugal Innovation - sometimes referred to as 'reverse innovation', 'inclusive innovation' and 'constraint-based innovation' - describes a type of innovation in which technological products are customised at low prices and high volumes in and for emerging markets (Dutta and Benavente, 2011). These innovations are not confined to technological breakthroughs but also include incremental process and product innovations aimed mainly at the middle or the bottom of the income pyramid (Bessant and Tidd, 2011).
Frugal Innovation Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Frugal Innovation.
Frugal Innovation Strengths *
Frugal Innovation Weaknesses *
Examples of Frugal Innovation *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Frugal Innovation Implementation *
Success Factors of Frugal Innovation *
Measures of Frugal Innovation *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Frugal Innovation Videos *
Frugal Innovation Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Frugal Innovation Web Resources *
Frugal Innovation Print Resources *
Frugal Innovation References (4 of up to 20) *
- Bessant, J., Tidd, J., 2011. Innovation and Entrepreneurship. John Wiley and Sons.
- BCG (2007) Measuring Innovation 2007: A BCG Senior Management Survey, [Online], available at: http://www.bcg.com/documents/file15066.pdf.
- Business Standard, 2011. Business Standard India 2011. Business Standard Books.
- Cattaneo, O., Gereffi, G., Staritz, C., 2010. Global value chains in a postcrisis world: a development perspective. World Bank Publications.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Frugal Innovation and hundreds of other essential business management techniques