Franchising is an important business growth strategy and marketing system that can boost turnover without the need to increase assets. The concept explains the advantages and drawbacks of this strategy and describes how some of the world's most iconic brands have built successful franchising businesses.
Franchising is a system of distribution where one party (the franchisor) grants a second party (the franchisee) the right to distribute products or perform services and to operate a business in accordance with an established marketing system (Hall & Dixon, 1988);. It has also been defined as ‘incomplete licensing’ (Albaum & Mendelsohn, 2002) and ‘a right to sell, rather than to produce’ (Paliwoda & Thomas, 1998).
Franchising Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Franchising.
Franchising Strengths *
Franchising Weaknesses *
Examples of Franchising *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Franchising Implementation *
Success Factors of Franchising *
Measures of Franchising *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Franchising Videos *
Franchising Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Franchising Web Resources *
Franchising Print Resources *
Franchising References (4 of up to 20) *
- Albaum, G., Strandskov, J. and Duerr, E. (2002) International Marketing and Export Management, Pearson Education, Essex, England.
- Beshel, B. (2001) An Introduction to Franchising, The IFA Educational Foundation, Pepsico Foundation.
- BFA, British Franchise Association. (2007) Case Studies Henley-on-Thames: British Franchise Association.
- Bradley, F. (2002) International Marketing Strategy, 4th ed, Prentice Hall.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Franchising and hundreds of other essential business management techniques