Action learning is a learning and problem-solving technique often used in organisations. The concept places an emphasis on the benefits of this strategy, reviews its main weaknesses, and demonstrates how action learning is used in organisations.
Action Learning Definition
Action learning is a systematic process through which individuals learn by doing. It is based on the premise that learning requires action and action requires learning. It engages individuals in just-in-time learning by "providing opportunities for them to develop knowledge and understanding at the appropriate time based on immediate felt needs" (Lewis and Williams, 1994).
Action Learning Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Action Learning.
Action Learning Strengths *
Action Learning Weaknesses *
Examples of Action Learning *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Action Learning Implementation *
Success Factors of Action Learning *
Measures of Action Learning *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Action Learning Videos *
Action Learning Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Action Learning Web Resources *
Action Learning Print Resources *
Action Learning References (4 of up to 20) *
- Beaty, L., Bourner, T., and Frost, P. (1993) Action learning: Reflections on becoming a set member. Management Education and Development. Vol.24(4), pp.350-367. (EJ 473 883)
- Boyett, J.H. and Boyett, J.T. (1996) Beyond workplace 2000. New York: A Plume Book.
- Canadian Centre for Management Development (1994) Continuous l. Report No.1. Ottawa, Canada.
- Dilworth, R.L. (1996) Action learning: Bridging academic and workplace domains. The Journal of Workplace Learning, Vol.8(6), pp.48-56.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Action Learning and hundreds of other essential business management techniques