Value chain is composed of primary and support activities that add value to the final product. The concept reviews the term and its main characteristics and examines success factors and implementation evidence.
Value Chain Definition
The Value Chain is a management approach for analysing the activities of a firm and how it can gain competitive advantage (Porter, 1985). The value chain, comprising primary and support activities, includes the full range of activities required to bring a product or service from conception through to the different phases of production, delivery to the final consumer, and disposal after use (Kaplinsky and Morris, 2001).
Value Chain Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Value Chain.
Value Chain Strengths *
Value Chain Weaknesses *
Examples of Value Chain *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Value Chain Implementation *
Success Factors of Value Chain *
Measures of Value Chain *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Value Chain Videos *
Value Chain Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Value Chain Web Resources *
Value Chain Print Resources *
Value Chain References (4 of up to 20) *
- Anderson, J. and Narus, J. (1995) Capturing the Value of Supplementary Services. Harvard Business Review, January-February, pp. 75-83.
- Barney, J.B. (1991) Firm Resources and Sustained Competitive Advantage. Journal of Management, Vol. 17(1), pp. 99-120.
- Besanko, D., Dranov, D. and Shanley, M. (2000) Economics of Strategy. John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Donelan, J.G. and Kaplan, E.A. (1988) Value Chain Analysis: A Strategic Approach to Cost Management. Journal of Cost Management, March/April, pp. 7-15.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Value Chain and hundreds of other essential business management techniques