The concept outlines core ‘constants’ that can be used to develop effective leadership within the organisation and describes the principles that underpin transformational leadership. The concept will give you an understanding of how to adopt this approach in any organisational setting.
Transformational Leadership Definition
Transformational leadership "portrays leaders as charismatic or visionary individuals who seek to overturn the status quo and bring about radical change. Such leaders use the force of their personality to motivate followers to identify with the leader's vision and to sacrifice their self-interest in favour of that of the group or organisation" (Burnes, 2009: 605).
Transformational Leadership Description *
* The full technique overview is available for members only. Why not sign up for a free trial of our business management platform, and learn all about Transformational Leadership.
Transformational Leadership Strengths *
Transformational Leadership Weaknesses *
Examples of Transformational Leadership *
* The business evidence section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the Business Evidence.
Transformational Leadership Implementation *
Success Factors of Transformational Leadership *
Measures of Transformational Leadership *
* The business application section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the Business application.
Transformational Leadership Videos *
Transformational Leadership Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the professional tools.
Transformational Leadership Web Resources *
Transformational Leadership Print Resources *
Transformational Leadership References (4 of up to 20) *
- Bass, B.M. (1985) Leadership and Performance. Free Press, New York.
- Bass, B.M., Avolio, B.J., Jung, D.I. and Berson, Y. (2003) Predicting Unit Performance by Assessing Transformational and Transactional Leadership. Journal of Applied Psychology, 88(2), pp. 207-218.
- Bolman, L.G. and Deal, T.E. (1997) Reframing Organizations. Artistry, Choice and Leadership 2e. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Burnes, B. (2009) Managing Change. Pearson, Essex, UK.
* The further reading section is for members only. Please log in or subscribe to view the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Transformational Leadership and hundreds of other essential business management techniques