Organisations often believe that transformational leaders offer a magic bullet to attain higher workforce performance. Learn why transactional leadership styles are also beneficial and how to measure leadership effectively.
Transactional Leadership Definition
Transactional leadership refers to a "transaction or exchange of something of value the leader possesses or controls that the follower wants in return for his/her services. The relations of most leaders and followers are transactional: leaders approach followers with an eye to exchanging one thing for another: jobs for votes, or subsidies for campaign contributions" (Burns, 1978).
Transactional Leadership Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Transactional Leadership.
Transactional Leadership Strengths *
Transactional Leadership Weaknesses *
Examples of Transactional Leadership *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Transactional Leadership Implementation *
Success Factors of Transactional Leadership *
Measures of Transactional Leadership *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Transactional Leadership Videos *
Transactional Leadership Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Transactional Leadership Web Resources *
Transactional Leadership Print Resources *
Transactional Leadership References (4 of up to 20) *
- Barbuto, J.E., & Brown, L.L. (2000). Full range leadership, D-27. Retrieved August 19, 2006 from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln “NebGuide” website.
- Bass, M., & Avolio, B. (1992). Developing transformational leadership: 1992 and beyond. Journal of European Industrial Training, Vol.14, pp.21-37.
- Bass, B. M. (1985). Leadership and Performance Beyond Expectations. New York: Free Press.
- Bass, B. M. (1990). From transactional to transformational leadership: Learning to share the vision. Organizational Dynamics, (Winter): 19-31.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Transactional Leadership and hundreds of other essential business management techniques