Theory of Constraints
Theory of constraints is an essential concept in operations management to remove bottlenecks in the throughput chain. The concept explains best practice implementation and the critical factors for success.
Theory of Constraints Definition
The theory of constraints (TOC) describes the attempt to maximise operating profits by identifying bottleneck and non-bottleneck operations in a system. It is a process of continuous improvement to remove all constraints in the throughput chain while minimising inventory and operational costs (Balderstone & Mabin, 1998; Drury, 2007).
Theory of Constraints Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Theory of Constraints.
Theory of Constraints Strengths *
Theory of Constraints Weaknesses *
Examples of Theory of Constraints *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Theory of Constraints Implementation *
Success Factors of Theory of Constraints *
Measures of Theory of Constraints *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Theory of Constraints Videos *
Theory of Constraints Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Theory of Constraints Web Resources *
Theory of Constraints Print Resources *
Theory of Constraints References (4 of up to 20) *
- Balderstone, S. J. and Mabin, V. J. (1998) A Review of Goldratt’s Theory of Constraints (TOC): Lessons from the International Literature, Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Conference of the Operational Research Society of New Zealand, Auckland, pp. 205-14.
- Coughlan, P. and Darlington, J. (1993) As Fast as the Slowest Operations: The Theory of Constraints, Management Accounting, June 1993, pp. 14-17.
- Drury, C. (2004) Management and Cost Accounting (6th ed.), Thomson Learning, London.
- Drury, C. (2007) Management and Cost Accounting (7th ed.), South-Western Cengage Learning, London.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Theory of Constraints and hundreds of other essential business management techniques