The concept explains how organisations can use strategy maps as an essential tool in their strategy and planning activities. It describes how organisations have successfully used strategy maps to achieve strategic alignment and identifies the steps required to apply the concept in practice.
Strategy Map Definition
A strategy map is a visual representation of the components of an organisation’s strategy and the relationships between a company’s financial, customer, internal process and learning and growth perspectives (as described on the balanced scorecard) (Kaplan & Norton, 2004b).
Strategy Map Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Strategy Map.
Strategy Map Strengths *
Strategy Map Weaknesses *
Examples of Strategy Map *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Strategy Map Implementation *
Success Factors of Strategy Map *
Measures of Strategy Map *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Strategy Map Videos *
Strategy Map Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Strategy Map Web Resources *
Strategy Map Print Resources *
Strategy Map References (4 of up to 20) *
- Armitage, H. M. and Scholey, C. (2006) Using Strategy Maps to Drive Performance, The Society of Management Accountants of Canada (CMA-Canada), the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), Canada, US and UK.
- Kaplan, R. and Norton, D. (1992) The Balanced Scorecard - Measures that Drive Performance, Harvard Business Review, Jan-Feb, 1992.
- Kaplan, R. S. (2004) Five Questions About Strategy Maps, Harvard Management Update, Vol. 9 (11), p. 3.
- Kaplan,D. (2009). Conceptual Foundations of the Balanced Scorecard. Handbooks of Management Accounting Research, Volume 3, 2009, Pages 1253-1269
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Strategy Map and hundreds of other essential business management techniques