Strategic Business Units
A strategic business unit is a separate, specialised subsystem in the company which acts as an independent company. Having SBU assists organisations to plan their strategies and make manufacturing decisions. The concept provides a review of the critical issues on an SBU benefits and success factors.
Strategic Business Units Definition
A Strategic Business Unit (SBU) is a basic organisational unit for which it is meaningful to formulate a separate competitive strategy (Grant, 2002). Typically the SBU is a business providing a single product or a number of closely related products that serve a well-defined product-market combination and compete with a well-defined set of competitors.
Strategic Business Units Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Strategic Business Units.
Strategic Business Units Strengths *
Strategic Business Units Weaknesses *
Examples of Strategic Business Units *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Strategic Business Units Implementation *
Success Factors of Strategic Business Units *
Measures of Strategic Business Units *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Strategic Business Units Videos *
Strategic Business Units Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Strategic Business Units Web Resources *
Strategic Business Units Print Resources *
Strategic Business Units References (4 of up to 20) *
- Eisenstat, R., Foote, N., Galbraith, J. and Miller, D. (2001) Beyond the Business Unit. The McKinsey Quarterly, Vol. 37(1), pp. 54-63.
- Grant, R.M. (2002) Contemporary Strategy Analysis: Concepts, Techniques, Applications. Blackwell, Oxford, UK.
- Hall, W.K. (1978) SBUs: Hot, New Topic in the Management of Diversification. Business Horizons, Vol. 21(1), pp. 17-25.
- Hansen, O.D. and Peytz, M. (1991) Global Organisation: Designing the Corporate Centre. The McKinsey Quarterly, Vol. 3.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Strategic Business Units and hundreds of other essential business management techniques