Standards and Patents
This concept explains why companies need to ensure that their technologies, communications products and components comply with specific standards. Research and case studies highlight legal implications relating to competition and antitrust and offers practical advice on building a patent pipeline.
Standards and Patents Definition
A standard is “a document, established by consensus and approved by a recognised body that provides, for common and repeated use, rules, guidelines or characteristics for activities or their results, aimed at the achievement of the optimum degree of order in a given context” (European Committee for Standardization, 2010). “A patent is an exclusive right granted for an invention, which is a product or a process that provides a new way of doing something or offers a new technical solution to a problem” (World Intellectual Property Organization, 2012).
Standards and Patents Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Standards and Patents.
Standards and Patents Strengths *
Standards and Patents Weaknesses *
Examples of Standards and Patents *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Standards and Patents Implementation *
Success Factors of Standards and Patents *
Measures of Standards and Patents *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Standards and Patents Videos *
Standards and Patents Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Standards and Patents Web Resources *
Standards and Patents Print Resources *
Standards and Patents References (4 of up to 20) *
- BusinessWeek (2007) The World's Most Innovative Companies, Special Report, May 9.
- European Committee for Standardization (2010) What is a European Standard (EN)?, [Online], available at: http://www.cencenelec.eu/standards/DefEN/Pages/default.aspx.
- Farrell, J., Hayes, J., Shapiro, C. and Sullivan, T. (2007) Standard Setting, Patents, and Hold-up, Antitrust Law Journal, Vol. 74 pp. 603-70.
- Grant, R. M. (2008) Contemporary Strategy Analysis, Blackwell Publishing, Oxford.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Standards and Patents and hundreds of other essential business management techniques