Span of Control
There are a number of different approaches to defining the ideal span of control. Success factors, limitations and implementation steps are provided, alongside case evidence from different sectors to help managers understand the effects of delayering on organisational design and performance.
Span of Control Definition
Span of control simply refers to the number of employees that a manager can supervise effectively at any given time without compromising his or her own performance, or that of the employees he or she manages (Hindle, 2008).
Span of Control Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Span of Control.
Span of Control Strengths *
Span of Control Weaknesses *
Examples of Span of Control *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Span of Control Implementation *
Success Factors of Span of Control *
Measures of Span of Control *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Span of Control Videos *
Span of Control Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Span of Control Web Resources *
Span of Control Print Resources *
Span of Control References (4 of up to 20) *
- Arnold, J., Silvester, J., Patterson, F., Robertson, I., Cooper C.L., and Burnes, B. (2005) Work Psychology: Understanding Human Behavior in the Workplace (4th Ed.), Pearson Education, Harlow, Essex.
- BBC News (2000) Dyke Moves to Streamline BBC, [Online] Available at: (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/827518.stm) [Accessed 6 October 2015]
- City of Portland Span of Control Study (1994) City of Portland Audit Services Division by Public Knowledge, Inc. and The Kemp Consulting Group.
- Doran, D. (2004). Impact of Managers’ Span of Control on Leadership and Performance. In: Foundation CHSR.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Span of Control and hundreds of other essential business management techniques