Shared services aim to promote efficiency and improved service for internal customers. The concept describes the many advantages and drawbacks of these organisational structures and process, as well as the conditions necessary for success.
Shared Services Definition
“A shared service is a collaborative strategy in which a subset of existing business functions are concentrated into a new, semi-autonomous business unit that has a management structure designed to promote efficiency, value generation, cost savings and improved service for internal customers of the parent organisation, like a business competing in the open market” (Bergeron, 2003).
Shared Services Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Shared Services.
Shared Services Strengths *
Shared Services Weaknesses *
Examples of Shared Services *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Shared Services Implementation *
Success Factors of Shared Services *
Measures of Shared Services *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Shared Services Videos *
Shared Services Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Shared Services Web Resources *
Shared Services Print Resources *
Shared Services References (4 of up to 20) *
- Bangemann, T. O. (2005) Shared Services in Finance and Accounting, Gower, Aldershot, UK.
- Bergeron, B. (2003) Essentials of Shared Services, Wiley, New York.
- Berry, M. (2009) HR Shared Services: Interview with Richard Crouch, Head of HR at Somerset County Council on Southwest One, Personnel Today, July.
- CIO (2010) Shared Services, [Online], available at: http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20100304104621/http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/cio/shared_services.aspx.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Shared Services and hundreds of other essential business management techniques