The concept explains how scientific management principles can improve productivity and have a substantial impact on industry through real life business evidence. It also describes some of the benefits of effective scientific management and assesses some of its limitations.
Scientific Management Definition
Scientific Management is an approach to designing jobs and supervising workers which emphasises the division of labour, the removal of worker discretion and the right of management to make what changes it thinks are necessary for efficient working (Burnes, 2009).
Scientific Management Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Scientific Management.
Scientific Management Strengths *
Scientific Management Weaknesses *
Examples of Scientific Management *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Scientific Management Implementation *
Success Factors of Scientific Management *
Measures of Scientific Management *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Scientific Management Videos *
Scientific Management Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Scientific Management Web Resources *
Scientific Management Print Resources *
Scientific Management References (4 of up to 20) *
- Arthur, D. (2008) Performance Appraisals: Strategies for Success, American Management Association.
- Bain, P., Watson, A., Mulvey, G., Taylor, P. and Gall, G. (2001) Taylorism, Targets and the Quantity-Quality Dichotomy in Call Centres. Paper presented at the 19th International Labour Process Conference, Royal Holloway College, University of London, 26-28 March.
- BBC (2010) China's factories hit by wave of strikes, available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/10434079
- Burnes, B. (2009) Managing Change. (5th Ed.) Pearson Education, Essex, UK.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Scientific Management and hundreds of other essential business management techniques