The concept describes what business scenarios are and how to build a step-by-step process when developing a strategic plan. You will also learn what factors are critical for the success of scenario planning and the advantages and disadvantages of this approach.
Scenario Planning Definition
Scenario planning is a technique of strategic planning that relies on tools and technologies for managing the uncertainties of the future. It involves developing different plausible representations of an organisation’s future, based on assumptions about the forces driving the market and including different uncertainties (Kotler and Keller, 2011).
Scenario Planning Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Scenario Planning.
Scenario Planning Strengths *
Scenario Planning Weaknesses *
Examples of Scenario Planning *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Scenario Planning Implementation *
Success Factors of Scenario Planning *
Measures of Scenario Planning *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Scenario Planning Videos *
Scenario Planning Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Scenario Planning Web Resources *
Scenario Planning Print Resources *
Scenario Planning References (4 of up to 20) *
- Bradfield, R., Cairns, G., & Wright, G. (2015) “Teaching scenario analysis: an action learning pedagogy.” Technological Forecasting and Social Change. 100 (November): 44–52.
- Culpin, V.,Scott, H. 2012. The effectiveness of a live case study approach: Increasing knowledge and understanding of ‘hard’versus ‘soft’skills in executive education. Management Learning
- Kotler, P. and Keller, L.K. (2011) Marketing Management. (14th Ed.) Prentice Hall, USA.
- Lindgren, M. and Bandhold, H. (2009) Scenario Planning: The Link between Future and Strategy. Palgrave McMillan, UK.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Scenario Planning and hundreds of other essential business management techniques