The concept explains how organisations should leverage relationship selling to build strong, enduring relationships with customers. It describes the process of effectively aligning customers with company offerings and details the strengths and limitations of relationship selling as a marketing technique.
Relationship Selling Definition
Relationship selling, or partnering, refers to "the development of long-term, mutually satisfying buyer-seller relationships" (Gonzalez et al., 2005:57). It focuses on the relationship between a company's sales force and its customer base (Foster and Cadogan, 2000) and can be regarded as the task of "building an aura of trust and warmth that should ensure a permanent bond between buyer and seller" (Jolson, 1997:76).
Relationship Selling Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Relationship Selling.
Relationship Selling Strengths *
Relationship Selling Weaknesses *
Examples of Relationship Selling *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Relationship Selling Implementation *
Success Factors of Relationship Selling *
Measures of Relationship Selling *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Relationship Selling Videos *
Relationship Selling Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Relationship Selling Web Resources *
Relationship Selling Print Resources *
Relationship Selling References (4 of up to 20) *
- Beverland, M. (2001) Contextual influences and the adoption and practice of relationship selling in a business-to-business setting. Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management, Vol.21(3), pp.207-215.
- Foster, B. and Cadogan, J. (2000) Relationship selling and customer loyalty: an empirical investigation. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, Vol.18(4), pp.185-199.
- Gebauer, H., Johnson, M. and Enquist, B. (2010) Value co-creation as a determinant of success in public transport services. Managing Service Quality, Vol.20(6), pp.511-530.
- Gonzalez, G., Hoffman, K. and Ingram, T. (2005) Improving relationship selling through failure analysis and recovery efforts: A framework and call to action. Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, Vol 25(1), pp.57-65.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Relationship Selling and hundreds of other essential business management techniques