Purchasing consortia are a key way to reduce purchasing costs and seek common solutions.Different types of consortia models, their strengths and weaknesses, the critical steps needed to establish a consortium, and a number of key metrics for ensuring success are provided.
Purchasing Consortium/Consortia Definition
A purchasing consortium is a "collaborative arrangement in which two or more organisations join together to combine their individual requirements for goods, works or services to gain better prices, design, supply availability and assurance benefits compared to if each member purchased the goods or services alone" (Farringdon & Lysons, 2006).
Purchasing Consortium/Consortia Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Purchasing Consortium/Consortia.
Purchasing Consortium/Consortia Strengths *
Purchasing Consortium/Consortia Weaknesses *
Examples of Purchasing Consortium/Consortia *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Purchasing Consortium/Consortia Implementation *
Success Factors of Purchasing Consortium/Consortia *
Measures of Purchasing Consortium/Consortia *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Purchasing Consortium/Consortia Videos *
Purchasing Consortium/Consortia Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Purchasing Consortium/Consortia Web Resources *
Purchasing Consortium/Consortia Print Resources *
Purchasing Consortium/Consortia References (4 of up to 20) *
- Bradley, A. (2005) London Housing Group to Buy Through National Consortium, Supply Management, December 12.
- Cabinet Office (2009) Working in a Consortium. [Online] Available at: (webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/media/107235/consortium guide final.pdf). [Accessed May 2015].
- Charlesworth, A. (2011) Creating a Consortium Agreement. Centre for IT and Law, University of Bristol. [Online] Available at: (www.jisc.ac.uk/media/documents/funding/project_management/consortiumagreements.pdf). [Accessed May 2015].
- CIPS: Measuring Purchasing Performance. [Online] Available at: (www.greenwich-college.ac.uk/programmes-courses/professional/cips/L4-03-Measuring-purchasing-performance.pdf.) [Accessed May 2015].
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Purchasing Consortium/Consortia and hundreds of other essential business management techniques