The concept treats 'power' as a managerial advantage that has many consequences - from affecting decision-making processes to influencing employee behaviour. It explores the characteristics of the power in the workplace and outlines five power bases.
Power is "the capacity to control one’s own and others’ resources and outcomes" (Galinsky et al., 2007). It is seen as the opposite of being dependent; people who are powerful "depend less on the resources of those with low power than vice versa and, thus, are more easily able to satisfy their own needs and desires. Power has often been considered a foundational force that governs social relationships. Because power is so critical, it not only regulates social interactions but it also alters individual psychological states" (Galinsky et al., 2008).
Power Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Power.
Power Strengths *
Power Weaknesses *
Examples of Power *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Power Implementation *
Success Factors of Power *
Measures of Power *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Power Videos *
Power Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Power Web Resources *
Power Print Resources *
Power References (4 of up to 20) *
- Arquilla, J. and D. Ronfeldt (2001), Networks and Netwars: The Future of Terror, Crime, and Militancy. Santa Monica, CA: RAND
- Beer,D. (2016) Metric Power. London: Palgrave Macmillan
- Clegg, S. R., Carter, C, Kornberger, M., and Schweitzer, J. (2011) Strategy: Theory & Practice, London: Sage.
- Ford, R.C., Sturman, M.C. and Heaton, C.P. (2012) Managing Quality Service in Hospitality. Delmar (Cengage Learning), New York.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Power and hundreds of other essential business management techniques