Phases of Change
Lewin’s phases of change model has made an important contribution to the study of organisations and management. Strengths and weaknesses of the theory are considered within a business context and practical implementation guidance is provided.
Phases of Change Definition
Kurt Lewin's phases of change model describes a "planned approach" to organisational change management that progresses through three stages. Thus, it is commonly referred to as the three-step model: unfreeze, change, freeze (or refreeze) (Lewin, 1947).
Phases of Change Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Phases of Change.
Phases of Change Strengths *
Phases of Change Weaknesses *
Examples of Phases of Change *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Phases of Change Implementation *
Success Factors of Phases of Change *
Measures of Phases of Change *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Phases of Change Videos *
Phases of Change Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Phases of Change Web Resources *
Phases of Change Print Resources *
Phases of Change References (4 of up to 20) *
- Bargal, D. and Bar, H. (1992) ‘A Lewinian approach to intergroup workshops for Arab-Palestinian and Jewish Youth’. Journal of Social Issues, 48, 2, 139–54.
- Burnes, B. (2004) Kurt Lewin and Complexity Theories: Back to the Future? Journal of Change Management, 4(4), 309-325.
- Burnes, B. (2014). Managing Change. (6th ed.) London: Pearson.
- Carton, R.B. & Hofer, C.W. (2006) Measuring Organizational Performance, Edward Elgar, Glos, UK.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Phases of Change and hundreds of other essential business management techniques