Organisational theory puts substantial emphasis on people in organisations and how they are treated. An overview of the theory’s and strengths and drawbacks, measurement and focus areas helps leaders apply the principles in practice.
Organisation Theory Definition
Organisation theory is the study of organisational design, relationships and structures. It focuses on such dimensions as level of organisation formalisation, specialisation, standardisation, hierarchy of authority, complexity, size, goals and strategy. These dimensions provide a way of measuring and analysing organisations (Daft, 1997).
Organisation Theory Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Organisation Theory.
Organisation Theory Strengths *
Organisation Theory Weaknesses *
Examples of Organisation Theory *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Organisation Theory Implementation *
Success Factors of Organisation Theory *
Measures of Organisation Theory *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Organisation Theory Videos *
Organisation Theory Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Organisation Theory Web Resources *
Organisation Theory Print Resources *
Organisation Theory References (4 of up to 20) *
- Burnes, B. (2009) Managing Change, Pearson, UK.
- Combe, M. (2014) Change Readiness: Focusing Change Management Where It Counts, Project Management Institute, [online] Avalibale at: (http://www.pmi.org/learning/~/media/PDF/Knowledge%20Center/Focusing-Change-Management-Where-it-Counts.ashx) [Accessed September 2015].
- Daft, R.L. (1997) Organization Theory and Design, 6th Edition, South-Western Publishing, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Farazmand, A. (2002) Organization Theory: From Pre-Classical to Contemporary and Critical Theories - An Overview and Appraisal, In Farazmand, A. (Ed.), Modern Organizations: Theory and Practice, 2nd Edition, Praeger, Westport and London, 19-62.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Organisation Theory and hundreds of other essential business management techniques