OD interventions aim to find out the root cause of problems so that robust, sustainable solutions can be implemented. Application advice, typical success factors and measures provide practical advice on how to succeed with OD projects.
Organisation Development Definition
Organisation Development (OD) is a process that is "planned, organisation-wide, and managed from the top". The goal of OD is to increase organisational effectiveness and health through planned interventions in the organisation's processes and structures (Beckhard, 1969). In essence, OD is a "planned system of change. Organisation development is seen as a process that applies behavioural science knowledge and practices to help organisations achieve greater effectiveness" (Cummings & Worley, 2005).
Organisation Development Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Organisation Development.
Organisation Development Strengths *
Organisation Development Weaknesses *
Examples of Organisation Development *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Organisation Development Implementation *
Success Factors of Organisation Development *
Measures of Organisation Development *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Organisation Development Videos *
Organisation Development Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Organisation Development Web Resources *
Organisation Development Print Resources *
Organisation Development References (4 of up to 20) *
- Beckhard, R. (1969). Organization development: Strategies and models. Addison-Wesley: Reading, MA.
- Bennis, W. (1987). Management Theory. New York: Free Press.
- Cheung-Judge, M-Y. and Holbeche, L. (2015) Organization Development: A Practitioner’s Guide for OD and HR, Kogan Page, London.
- Cua, K.O., McKone, K.E., Schroeder, R.G. (2001). The impact of Total Productive Maintenance practices on manufacturing performance. Journal of Operations Management Vol.19 (1), pp.39–58.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Organisation Development and hundreds of other essential business management techniques