This concept explores oligopolies, one of the most common forms of market organisation in the manufacturing sector. It explains the major strengths and drawbacks of oligopolies and brings the concept to life with case studies from across industries and world regions. Success factors for competing successfully in an oligopoly are outlined.
Oligopoly is a market structure in which only a few sellers offer similar or identical products. Selling prices may be higher than in perfect competition and quantities supplied lower. The most simple form of oligopoly is the duopoly, a market served by only two companies (Mankiw, 2009).
Oligopoly Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Oligopoly.
Oligopoly Strengths *
Oligopoly Weaknesses *
Examples of Oligopoly *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Oligopoly Implementation *
Success Factors of Oligopoly *
Measures of Oligopoly *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Oligopoly Videos *
Oligopoly Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Oligopoly Web Resources *
Oligopoly Print Resources *
Oligopoly References (4 of up to 20) *
- Griffiths, A., Wall, S. (2007) Applied Economics. Pearson Education.
- Güth, W., Pull, K., Stadler, M., Zaby, A. (2014) Endogenous Price Leadership – A Theoretical and Experimental Analysis, Journal of Economic Behaviour & Organization, in press.
- Hsu, S-Y., Lo, C-P., Wu, S-J. (2014) The Nexus of Market Concentration and Privatization Policy in Mixed Oligopoly, Economic Modelling, 38, 196-203.
- Lippert, J. (2011) Cargill Defines Food Chain While Assailing Government Hoarding. Bloomberg, Jul 27. Available at: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-27/cargill-defines-food-chain-while-assailing-government-hoarding.html.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Oligopoly and hundreds of other essential business management techniques