The concept describes the special case of companies in a monopsony market. It outlines a number of strengths and weaknesses of a monopsony, offers advice on measuring the concept and uses case studies from across countries and industries to show the concept in practice.
A pure monopsony is a market where a company is the only consumer of a resource (i.e. a company that is the only employer). Since pure monopsony situations are rare, monopsony only occurs when a company is so large that its buying decisions affect the price of the resource or its employing decisions affect the market wage (Hall & Lieberman, 2007).
Monopsony Description *
* The full technique overview will be available soon. Contact us to register your interest in our business management platform, and learn all about Monopsony.
Strengths, weaknesses and examples of Monopsony *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Implementation, success factors and measures of Monopsony *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Monopsony videos and downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Monopsony web and print resources *
Monopsony references (4 of up to 20) *
- Baumol, W.J., Blinder, A.S. (2011), Economics: Principles and Policy, Cengage Learning.
- Brezina, I., Pekár, J., Čičková, Z. (2012) The Analysis of Concentration of Slovak Banking Sector, Strategic Management, 17(2), 45-50.
- Drabek, Z. (2001) Globalisation Under Threat, Edward Elgar Publishing, Cheltenham, UK.
- Gardiner, B., 2007. The Other $15 Billion Question: How Will Apple Spend Its Cash? Wired, 1 November. Available at: http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news/2007/11/apple_cash.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Monopsony and hundreds of other essential business management techniques