The concept explains how organisations design matrix structures to create dual-reporting structures. It illustrates with case study examples across different industries and sectors the advantages and disadvantages of this organisational form and some of the success factors for designing effective matrix structures.
Matrix Management Definition
Matrix management is a technique for managing an organisation through dual-reporting relationships, as opposed to a more traditional management reporting structure. It combines functional and product departments in a dual authority system. In its simplest form, a matrix configuration may be known as a cross-functional work team, which brings together individuals, who report to different parts of the company in order to complete a particular project or task (Malonis, 2000).
Matrix Management Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Matrix Management.
Matrix Management Strengths *
Matrix Management Weaknesses *
Examples of Matrix Management *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Matrix Management Implementation *
Success Factors of Matrix Management *
Measures of Matrix Management *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Matrix Management Videos *
Matrix Management Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Matrix Management Web Resources *
Matrix Management Print Resources *
Matrix Management References (4 of up to 20) *
- Bartlett, C. A. and Ghoshal, S. (1990) Matrix Management: Not a Structure, a Frame of Mind, Harvard Business Review, Jul-Aug.
- Borkowski, N. (2009) Organizational Behavior, Theory, and Design in Health Care, Jones and Bartlett, Sudbury, MA.
- Brindle, M. C. and Stearns, P. N. (2001) Facing Up to Management Faddism, Quorum Books, Westport, CT.
- Burton, R. M. ad Obel, B. (2004) Strategic Organisational Diagnosis and Design, 3rd ed, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Matrix Management and hundreds of other essential business management techniques