The concept explains the growth of mass production and its impact across the globe. It describes the types of mass production techniques that leading organisations use and the strengths and drawbacks of these different approaches.
Mass Production Definition
Mass production (MP) is a process to produce the largest quantity of items while using the fewest resources. It uses a combination of single-purpose machines and low- or semi-skilled labour to produce large amounts of standardised goods for mass consumption, to an extensive market, at low prices (Sabel & Zeitlin, 1985; Poni, 1997).
Mass Production Description *
* The full technique overview will be available soon. Contact us to register your interest in our business management platform, and learn all about Mass Production.
Strengths, weaknesses and examples of Mass Production *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Implementation, success factors and measures of Mass Production *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Mass Production videos and downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Mass Production web and print resources *
Mass Production references (4 of up to 20) *
- Broekhuizen, T.L .J. and Alsem, K. J. (2002) Success Factors for Mass Customization: A Conceptual Model, Journal of Market-Focused Management, Vol. 5 (4), pp. 309-330.
- Charney, C. and Mitchell, P. (1991) Reducing Product Lead Time, 1st edn, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, Dearborn, Mich.
- Chase, R.B., and Aquilano, N.J. (2004) Operations Management for Competitive Advantage, 10th Edition, Irwin Professional Publishing.
- Duguay, C.R., Landry, S. and Pasin, F. (1997) "From mass production to flexible/agile production", International Journal of Operations & Production Management, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 1183-1195.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Mass Production and hundreds of other essential business management techniques