Mass customisation revolutionised the ability of companies to develop, produce and deliver affordable goods and services quickly. The concept explains the rise of mass customisation, its advantages and disadvantages and strategies for implementing mass customisation successfully.
Mass Customisation Definition
Mass customisation is the production of goods and services for a typically large market, which meets exactly, the needs of each individual customer in terms of product characteristics (differentiation option), at costs corresponding roughly to those of standard mass produced goods (cost option). Mass customisation resolves the traditional trade-off between mass production (low cost but no differentiation) and customisation (meeting individual customer needs but at high cost) (Piller & Müller, 2004).
Mass Customisation Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Mass Customisation.
Mass Customisation Strengths *
Mass Customisation Weaknesses *
Examples of Mass Customisation *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Mass Customisation Implementation *
Success Factors of Mass Customisation *
Measures of Mass Customisation *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Mass Customisation Videos *
Mass Customisation Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Mass Customisation Web Resources *
Mass Customisation Print Resources *
Mass Customisation References (4 of up to 20) *
- Blecker, T. and Abdelkafi, N. (2006) Mass Customization: State-of-the-Art and Challenges, in Blecker, T. and Friedrich, G. (Eds.), Mass Customization. Challenges and Solutions, Springer, New York, pp. 1-25.
- Chase, R.B., and Aquilano, N.J. (2004) Operations Management for Competitive Advantage, 10th Edition, Irwin Professional Publishing.
- Da Silveira, G., Borenstein, D., and Fogliatto, F.S. (2001) Mass Customization: Literature Review and Research Directions, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 72 (1), pp. 1-13.
- Drury, C. (2004) Management and Cost Accounting (6th ed.), Thomson Learning, London.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Mass Customisation and hundreds of other essential business management techniques