The concept addresses one of the greatest challenges faced by marketing managers in today’s global markets and explores the importance of formulating competitive product positioning and a detailed marketing mix.
Market Positioning Definition
Market positioning involves "arranging for a product to occupy a clear, distinctive and desirable place relative to competing products in the minds of target consumers". It is about formulating competitive positioning for a product and a detailed marketing mix (Kotler et al., 1999).
Market Positioning Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Market Positioning.
Market Positioning Strengths *
Market Positioning Weaknesses *
Examples of Market Positioning *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Market Positioning Implementation *
Success Factors of Market Positioning *
Measures of Market Positioning *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Market Positioning Videos *
Market Positioning Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Market Positioning Web Resources *
Market Positioning Print Resources *
Market Positioning References (4 of up to 20) *
- Jackson, S. (2007) Market Share is Not Enough: Why Strategic Market Positioning Works. Journal of Business Strategy, Vol. 28(1), pp. 18-25.
- Jobber, D. (2006) Principles and Practices of Marketing. McGraw-Hill, UK.
- King, C. and Ring, L. (1980) Market Positioning Across Retail Fashion Institutions: A Comparative Analysis of Store Types. Journal of Retailing, Vol. 56(1), pp. 37-56.
- Kotler, P., Armstrong, G., Saunders, J. and Wong, V. (1999) Principles of Marketing. Prentice Hall, Europe.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Market Positioning and hundreds of other essential business management techniques