Managing Open Innovation
This concept summarises the benefits of open innovation, presents the challenges and limitations of adopting open innovation technologies and captures best practice and experiences from real-life industrial open innovation projects.
Managing Open Innovation Definition
Open Innovation is a term defined and made famous by Prof. Henry Chesbrough in his ground-breaking book “Open Innovation: The New Imperative for Creating and Profiting from Technology” (2003, Harvard Business School Press). Chesbrough defines Open Innovation as a paradigm that assumes that firms wishing to advance their technology can and should use external ideas as well as internal ideas, and internal and external paths to the market (Chesbrough, 2003).
Managing Open Innovation Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Managing Open Innovation.
Managing Open Innovation Strengths *
Managing Open Innovation Weaknesses *
Examples of Managing Open Innovation *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Managing Open Innovation Implementation *
Success Factors of Managing Open Innovation *
Measures of Managing Open Innovation *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Managing Open Innovation Videos *
Managing Open Innovation Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Managing Open Innovation Web Resources *
Managing Open Innovation Print Resources *
Managing Open Innovation References (4 of up to 20) *
- Almirall, E. and Casadesus-Masanell R. (2010) Open Versus Closed Innovation. Academy of Management Review, Vol. 35(1), pp. 27-47.
- Bughin, J., Chui, M. and Johnson, B. (2008) The Next Step into Open Innovation. The McKinsey Quarterly, pp. 1-8, June. Available online at: www.clickadvisor.com/downloads/Bughin_Next_Step_in_Open_Innovation.pdf
- Chesbrough, H.W. (2003) Open Innovation: The New Imperative for Creating and Profiting from Technology. Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA.
- Chesbrough, H.W. (2006) Open Business Models: How to Thrive in the New Innovation Landscape. Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Managing Open Innovation and hundreds of other essential business management techniques