The concept examines the term long tail and identifies important factors leading to it. It has been created to help business professionals to better understand how to identify the extent of the tail, analyse its composition and determine the best approach to managing it.
Long Tail Definition
The long tail "occurs in the almost limitless market of supply and demand that has been opened by online retailing. In this market, the lack of physical or local restrictions allows retailers to focus on and generate significant revenue from the less popular items in their catalogues" (Simchi-levi, 2010:24).
Long Tail Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Long Tail.
Long Tail Strengths *
Long Tail Weaknesses *
Examples of Long Tail *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Long Tail Implementation *
Success Factors of Long Tail *
Measures of Long Tail *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Long Tail Videos *
Long Tail Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Long Tail Web Resources *
Long Tail Print Resources *
Long Tail References (4 of up to 20) *
- Anderson, C. (2007) The Long Tail: How Endless Choice is Creating Unlimited Demand. Random House Publishing, London.
- Brynjolfsson, E., Hu, Y. and Smith, M.D. (2006) From Niches to Riches: The Anatomy of the Long Tail, Sloan Management Review, Vol. 47 (4), pp. 67-71.
- CIPS: A strategic approach to defining a tail.
- Curran, K., McCartney, D. and Elder, K. (2006) The Power of Long Tail. Journal of Information Technology Impact, Vol.6 (3), pp.129-134.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Long Tail and hundreds of other essential business management techniques