This concept has been created to guide managers and business owners in recognising and analysing the weaknesses of their purchasing approaches. It explores a set of alternative purchasing strategies within each quadrant of the Kraljic Matrix.
Kraljic Matrix Definition
The Kraljic matrix is an influential strategic tool "to guide managers so that they can recognise the weakness of their organisation and formulate strategies for guarding against supplies disruption" (Lysons and Farrington, 2006: 63). The matrix developed by Peter Kraljic can be used to implement differentiated purchasing strategies (Gelderman and van Weele, 2002). It was first introduced in the seminal Harvard Business Review article published in 1983. Today the model is one of the dominant strategic tools guiding purchasing activities in organisations (Gelderman and van Weele, 2002).
Kraljic Matrix Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Kraljic Matrix.
Kraljic Matrix Strengths *
Kraljic Matrix Weaknesses *
Examples of Kraljic Matrix *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Kraljic Matrix Implementation *
Success Factors of Kraljic Matrix *
Measures of Kraljic Matrix *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Kraljic Matrix Videos *
Kraljic Matrix Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Kraljic Matrix Web Resources *
Kraljic Matrix Print Resources *
Kraljic Matrix References (4 of up to 20) *
- Boodie, M.L.J. (1997) World-class Purchasing in the Netherlands is Fiction. Berenschot Inkoopmanagement. Utrecht: The Netherlands.
- Caniels, M.C.J. and Gelderman, C.J. (2005) Purchasing Strategies in the Kraljic Matrix: A Power and Dependence perspective. Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, Vol. 11, pp. 141-155.
- Cheverton, P. and van Der Velde, J.P. (2010) Understanding the Professional Buyer: What Every Sales Professional Should Know About How The Modern Buyer Thinks and Behaves. Kogan Page.
- CIPS Australia: The Knowledge Club Compendium.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Kraljic Matrix and hundreds of other essential business management techniques