The concept is of particular interest for HR managers and recruiters seeking to understand the relationship between the individual's personality and their choice of career. The concept summarises and explains the six personality traits described by Gottfredson and Holland.
Holland Typology Definition
John L. Holland, while formulating a theory of careers, discovered a set of six personality types that are instrumental in a person's choice of career. He saw vocation as an extension and expression of personality (Holland, 1973). The six personalities are Realistic, Investigative, Artistic, Social, Enterprising, and Conventional. Hence, it is also sometimes referred to as the RIASEC Model.
Holland Typology Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Holland Typology.
Holland Typology Strengths *
Holland Typology Weaknesses *
Examples of Holland Typology *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Holland Typology Implementation *
Success Factors of Holland Typology *
Measures of Holland Typology *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Holland Typology Videos *
Holland Typology Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Holland Typology Web Resources *
Holland Typology Print Resources *
Holland Typology References (4 of up to 20) *
- ABET (1997) Engineering Criteria 2000 [Electronic version]. Baltimore: Author.
- Armstrong, P.I. and Day, S. (2008) Holland’s RIASEC Model as an Integrative Framework for Individual Differences. Journal of Counseling Psychology, Vol. 55(1), pp. 1–18.
- Brown, S. and Lent, R. (2004) Career Development and Counseling: Putting Theory and Research to Work. New Jersey: Wiley.
- Brown, D. (2007) Career Information, Career Counseling, and Career Development. (9th Ed.) Boston, MA: Allyn and Bacon.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Holland Typology and hundreds of other essential business management techniques