Norms determine how effective a group will be and may influence factors like the degree of cooperation. Practical case evidence and implementation steps can help leaders to initiate project groups that will succeed at delivering end goals.
Group Norms Definition
"Group norms are the informal rules that groups adopt to regulate and regularise group members’ behaviour" (Feldman, 1984). Groups manage to influence both ambiguous and unambiguous situations and therefore people find it safer to agree with others' opinions and conform to social norms (Sherif, 1936).
Group Norms Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Group Norms.
Group Norms Strengths *
Group Norms Weaknesses *
Examples of Group Norms *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Group Norms Implementation *
Success Factors of Group Norms *
Measures of Group Norms *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Group Norms Videos *
Group Norms Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Group Norms Web Resources *
Group Norms Print Resources *
Group Norms References (4 of up to 20) *
- Åstrøm, A. N., & Rise, J. (2001) Young Adults' Intention to Eat Healthy Food: Extending the Theory of Planned Behaviour, Psychology and Health, 16, 223-237.
- Barker, J. R. (1993). Tightening the iron cage: Concertive control in self-managing teams. Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 38, pp.408-437.
- Bettenhausen, K.L., & Murnighan, J. K. (1991) The development of an intragroup norm and the effects of interpersonal and structural challenges, Administrative Science Quarterly, 36, 20-35.
- Birenbaum, A. & Sagarin, E. (1976) Norms and human behavior, New York, Praeger.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Group Norms and hundreds of other essential business management techniques