The Golden Thread
The “Golden Thread” is a performance framework that explains how an organisation’s goals, values and vision are aligned and woven into the fabric of the organisational hierarchy. The concept explains how the Golden Thread can be applied within an organisation and the benefits of having a shared vision and clear performance metrics.
The Golden Thread Definition
The Golden Thread, also known as organisational alignment, is a simple framework to explain how an organisation links what it does to its goals. It ensures that an organisation’s goals, vision and values inform and are informed by its processes, systems and people. This alignment throughout each layer of the business leads to a shared understanding of the organisation’s vision. Knitting a “golden thread” throughout business strategies and operations is crucial if employees are to buy-in to organisational strategy and its shared purpose (Lea, 2019).
The Golden Thread Description *
* The full technique overview will be available soon. Contact us to register your interest in our business management platform, and learn all about The Golden Thread.
Strengths, weaknesses and examples of The Golden Thread *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Implementation, success factors and measures of The Golden Thread *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
The Golden Thread videos and downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
The Golden Thread web and print resources *
The Golden Thread references (4 of up to 20) *
- Bart, C. K., Bontis, N. and Taggar, S. (2001). A model of the impact of mission statements on firm performance. Management Decision, Vol. 39(1): 19-28.
- Behn, R. D. (2003). Why Measure Performance? Different Purposes Require Different Measures. Public Administration Review. 63(5), 586-606. https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-6210.00322
- Branson, C. (2008). Achieving Organisational Change through Values Alignment. Journal of Educational Administration 46(3): 376-395. DOI: 10.1108/09578230810869293
- Cardona, P. (2008). Management by Missions. Palgrave.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on The Golden Thread and hundreds of other essential business management techniques