Gestalt psychology helps us to understand human perception and sense-making. The background to gestalt psychology is provided alongside various strengths and weaknesses and numerous examples of case evidence and measures that can be used by organisations.
Gestalt Psychology Definition
Gestalt psychology is a school of thought that aims to determine the nature of a "gestalten" (an organised whole). It suggests that the whole is not a simple addition of its component parts but has characteristics of its own "determined by the intrinsic nature of the whole" (Wertheimer, 1925). For example, when we read, we process each word as a whole and not individual letters (Graham, 2008).
Gestalt Psychology Description *
* The full technique overview is available for free. Simply login to our business management platform, and learn all about Gestalt Psychology.
Gestalt Psychology Strengths *
Gestalt Psychology Weaknesses *
Examples of Gestalt Psychology *
* The business evidence section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business Evidence.
Gestalt Psychology Implementation *
Success Factors of Gestalt Psychology *
Measures of Gestalt Psychology *
* The business application section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the Business application.
Gestalt Psychology Videos *
Gestalt Psychology Downloads *
* The professional tools section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the professional tools.
Gestalt Psychology Web Resources *
Gestalt Psychology Print Resources *
Gestalt Psychology References (4 of up to 20) *
- Bluckert, P. (2006) Psychological Dimensions of Executive Coaching, OUP, Berkshire, UK.
- Chen, T, Dick, S. and Miller, J. (2010). Detecting visually similar Web pages: Application to phishing detection. In ACM Transactions on Internet Technology (TOIT), Vol. 10(2).
- Cummings, T.G. and Worley, C.G. (2009) Organization Development and Change. Cengage Learning, Mason, OH.
- Desolneux, A., Moisan, L. and Morel, J.M. (2008). From gestalt theory to image analysis: A probabilistic approach. Interdisciplinary Applied Mathematics, 34, 275.
* The further reading section is for premium members only. Please contact us about accessing the further reading.
Learn more about KnowledgeBrief Manage and how you can equip yourself with the knowledge to succeed on Gestalt Psychology and hundreds of other essential business management techniques